NEWS, REVIEWS, INTERVIEWS, ARTIST FEATURES,MUSIC AUDIO AND VIDEO

Friday, November 19, 2010

Music’s soul child Femi Adeyinka is back with a distinct RnB sound.



Lead Image

Tenacious, ambitious and passionate are three words which best describe Femi Adeyinka’s love for music. A conversation with the upcoming singer reveals an undying desire to carve a niche for himself in the blossoming Nigeria entertainment scene. Shortly after moving back to Nigeria last year, Adeyinka proved that he was one RnB act to watch out for.
His singles ‘ Never Felt Love like This’, ‘Baby I got it’ (money) feat Eedris Abdulkareem and ‘Ma pa mi’ feat Ego have earned rave reviews for the upcoming singer thus kicking off his musical career on a high note. The Westminister College Business Management graduate spent his formative years in the US where his musical skills were honed. Easily compared to the likes of Joe, Usher and Jodeci in terms of singing, Adeyinka sheds light on his mission.
Why did you decide to come back to Nigeria?
I came back home because I have not been here in a long time. My parents have been there to see me but it is different , I just felt the need to come home. My cousin Gbenga Adeyinka listened to my music in the US he encouraged me to come home and check out the music industry to see how far it has grown.
How did you get involved in music?
Some people say that they started music as a kid or inside their mother’s womb but music for me started as a dancer. I used to be a dancer in the states for shows and I was part of a dance crew in high school. I have always sang but never sang for people to hear. Then I did a talent show in high school, my friends and I did a song , but wasn’t serious about it , it was during this that one of the teachers pulled me aside abd advised me to hone my skills as a singer , all I could say then was ‘me a Nigerian my parents will kill me’! .
Then I got into the university I joined a group called ‘4thcoming’ made up of 4 guys, and I haven’t looked back since then. I know I studied business management not music but a lot of times it is called music business so music is something I love to do but it still has a business side to it.
There have been quite a number of Nigerian returnees, what do you think stands you out of the pack?
I do pure RnB and I feel good music which still falls under the rhythm and blues genre but I can do pop and everything. I have an edge because this (music) is what I was made to do. Not trying to be cocky as well ,I think I have what it takes to be if you listen to my music which is an edge. I am exposed and it helps to be exposed. I have been out there, I understand music I know how it works there and I have brought it back home here to Nigeria.
You got signed on to Kennis Music shortly after you moved back to Nigeria, wasn’t this rather fast?
I have heard that a couple of times but Kennis Music and I chose each other for a lot of reasons. That I got the sign-on so fast and that there a lot of people who are still knocking on the door .I joined them for the right reasons, I believe they believe in talent and when they see one they go for it. Kennis music is the number one label in Nigeria and Africa so signing with them is like a dream come true for me. I remember I was trying to sign with them a few years ago in America when 2face was on the peak of his game .I remembered my cousin (Gbenga Adeyinka) was trying to introduce me to them then but they didn’t show me any face (laughs) so I think everything happened for a reason. I chose Kennis Music because they know what they are doing they have proved themselves over and over. They have the platform , my dad used to say ,if you want to be an A student you have to hang with A students so if you want to be the best you have to with the best, they are the best in the industry and will remain the best. I signed with them was because they didn’t want me to change who I was.
Do you think the Nigerian market is ready to appreciate RnB?
I really believe we are ready for RnB because it’s about how you present yourself to the market .The industry is changing and you can tell by the number of artistes around. The next biggest music industry in the world is Nigeria .You have the likes of Psquare, M.I , getting BET nominations which is huge. So I think everyone is ready for that RnB sound. Everyone listens to Joe, Usher so the question is , are we ready to accept one of our own doing this?
Prior to moving back to Nigeria what were you doing in the states?
When I was in the US ,I worked at an after school programme for kids aged 6-12 ,I was in charge of curriculum and I was doing music at the same time.
Is an album in the works?
It’s a self titled album because I want people to know that is me that you are getting. It also helps to start out with a self titled album so people will get to know you better. We are still in the studio trying to pick out which tracks will make the album but I am looking at 16 tracks. I am working with my family in that States , ‘Surefire Music Group’, and in Nigeria Sunny aka the MasterKraft. Wole Oni and Jaysleek .
Your track ‘Never felt a love like this’, is it based on your experience(s)?
Yes it was inspired by a lot of past experiences . When I was in the studio , I was so bent on writing a song that will stand the test of time . When some people first heard the song , they said it’s too foreign .So I did a song with Ego Labaja which had some Yoruba to balance it.When I signed on to Kennis Music ,that was the song they wanted and the response has been great ever since.
What are the downsides of the Nigerian music industry?
Everyone says piracy but piracy is everywhere .What we lack is structure , a structure that will enable people to make a living because music is a career , not just a hobby. I think it will do a lot of good when begin to see music as a career , this will encourage them .Even in the States where you have the structure, it is still not easy for an upcoming artsite but it is better because one still see a light at the end of the tunnel but here in Nigeria it is still dim.
Femi Adeyinka’s ‘Baby I got it’ video aka money money video has been nominated in the best R’n’B category of the 2010 Nigerian Music Video Awards. Courtesy 234next.com

No comments:

Post a Comment