NEWS, REVIEWS, INTERVIEWS, ARTIST FEATURES,MUSIC AUDIO AND VIDEO

Thursday, February 10, 2011

EARDRUMS COVER STORY- Check out the exclusive Interview with Grace Obika by MiloungeTv

Cover Story




ARTIST SUMMARY
Grace Obika is an Indie-Soul singer/songwriter from North London, born in the UK but Nigerian heritage. Not only is she talented and gifted, but she is also what one would call ‘brains with beauty’ as she is also a Biomedical Sciences (Hons) graduate. From a strong musical background, she is of relations with multi-Award winning British Soul/R&B artist, Lemar Obika. We caught up with Grace Obika earlier today and she told us about her plans to storm the Nigerian music scene with her Indie style of music. The following conversation ensued;

(MiloungeTv): Who is Grace Obika?
(Grace): Grace Obika in a nutshell. I'm a singer-songwriter, raised in North London, but of Nigerian heritage. Clinical Coding Analyst by day, singer/songwriter/entertainer by night! (laughs)
(MiloungeTv): What does she like?
(Grace): I like to travel, eat out for dinner with friends, keep fit in the gym. I'm a "home movies" kind of girl; I love my Nollywood movies (laughs)
(MiloungeTv): Have you watched any Nollywood movies of recent? Have you any favourites?
(Grace): Yes I have! I've recently watched "Reloaded" which is my favourite movie so far!
(MiloungeTv): How did the music start?
(Grace): It all started in the church. My dad is a Bishop so I started singing from the age of seven in the choir. It then progressed to doing talent shows and competitions then to more professional shows from MTV to Hollywood (performed at the film premier for 'Amazing Grace') to Atlanta (Supported Akon and his breakthrough artist) and to famous UK music venues where I showcased my original material with my band. This venture also includes supporting popular artists such as Jon B, Omar, Akon, Marques Houston, to name a few.
(MiloungeTv): Who are your influences?
(Grace): My musical influences are Faith Evans, Stevie Wonder, Lauryn Hill, Coldplay, Jazmine Sullivan.
(MiloungeTv): What sort of image are you trying to pass across to the people who listen to your music?
(Grace): My image represents confidence, which stems from being educated, talented, creative & unique. So that's the type of image I give across to my audience & fans of my music.
(MiloungeTv): What are your views on the Nigerian music industry? Have you performed or written for any Nigerian Artistes?
(Grace): The Nigerian music industry is HUGE now! There's a lot of exciting things happening there and the quality of music is improving. The only downfall in Nigeria is that there is no real source of avenue for artists there to sell as much records on albums and singles because of the 'PROFESSIONAL BOOTLEGGERS' that restrict the avenue for amazing artists in Nigeria to sell records that match their potential & influence in their field of music. This aspect is more controlled in the US & in the UK. In Nigeria, artists seem to 'rake' in more from concerts/shows/endorsements etc, but not much the sales. Hopefully this will change in the near future as I believe artists in Nigeria should be able to make revenue from their 'art' too.
I have written for a group in Los Angeles called "Living out Loud". It was a good experience. I would really love to write for Asa and Nneka.
(MiloungeTv): Why have you chosen to extend your music reach to Nigeria? Do you think you can merge Indie and Nigerian pop melody? Any Nigerian artistes you would be interested in working with?
(Grace): Although I was born & raised here, I am a proud Nigerian girl and I love African music, especially from my side of the region (Igbo). So this year I am going to merge Indie-Soul (fusion of R'n'B/soul/reggae/pop) with a Nigerian twist to it, that will be rendered commercial for its stand in the Nigerian music market! I'm so excited and I'm looking forward to the adventure! I would really love to collaborate with P Square, Tuface, Asa, MI, Naeto C and Timaya. They are my favourite artists in Nigeria at the moment.
(MiloungeTv): Would performing with someone like Asa be a big step in your career?
(Grace): No, not necessarily. Asa is just a gifted artist of whom I admire with regards to her music. So to write for her alone will be a privilege, NOT an honour. She's completely amazing!
(MiloungeTv): Why don't you think it would be an honour to write for Asa or perform with her, especially since your genre is Indie and hers is quite similar and she is world renowned? Most people seem to be honoured by her presence alone. Who would you be honoured to write for?
(Grace): This is not a "personal" dig at Asa at all but I believe all HONOUR and glory belongs to God ALONE. So it will be a privilege to work with such an amazing artist. I'm moved by her music and respect her craft. It is always a privilege to work with artists I'm inspired by.

Grace Obika's new single, "So Right" is out now on Amazon and iTunes. 

Supported by Mega Points International 

1 comment: