NEWS, REVIEWS, INTERVIEWS, ARTIST FEATURES,MUSIC AUDIO AND VIDEO

Friday, May 13, 2011

Funny i'll call this: M.I and Ice Prince Can’t Freestyle

Read this on a friend site. I was shock when i 1st saw the subject in my inbox. I will love to share this with you. To me Freestyle is not a big deal cuz not every rapper is good at it. Many best comes from taking their time to draft out lines. My own opinion, feel free to share your take on the issue.

HERE IS THE POST FROM http://naijanedu.com


I’m writing this article in respect to what I heard last night (March 18, 2011) on a local radio station in Lagos, Nigeria called BEAT FM 99.9. I believe every Friday, they call on Nigerian rappers to ‘lick the mic’ in a session as popular DJs get on the ’1s & 2s’, spinning away as they MCs take turns to cause ‘lyrical havoc’. The show is aired live on radio and online.
In what was meant to be a freestyle session, the studio (in the radio station that is) housed quite a handful of upcoming rappers, (most of them have been introduced on NHH) who were def eager to raise the building down with punchlines and verbal display of words.
Most notable acts (as I remember, pardon me, i was on my 4th cup of coffee) were Big T, P&M, Godwon, Mojizzie, Feyizo, Phenom, T-Rex, Rilwan and the ‘utunu king’ Lynxxx. All MCs went hard, laudable freestyles, delivery techniques and out-of-the world punchlines. I mean not all raps were freestyles but hey, it was really good, far better than XXL Freshman Class of 2011 freestyle (Quote me! ). DJs on thedeck were DJ Caise, DJ Neptune and the legendary DJ Jimmy JATT.



Honestly, I was surprised to hear Lynxxx drop lines with eloquent delivery. Don’t get me wrong, the dude is an intelligent rapper, i was heavily convinced after listening to his debut album ‘This Is Lynxxx‘, but hanging out with these goons? It clearly showed that he also wants to appeal to the underground community in as much as he tends towards the commercial line.
Then there came in the self acclaimed ‘Undisputed Champion‘ , the ‘Africa Rapper No. 1‘, Jude Abaga, better known as M.I with his Chocolate City label mate, the ‘Oleku‘ hit master Ice Prince. They were highly welcomed. Then the moderator asked them to go ahead and drop a couple of freesstyles, I mean, M.I and Ice Prince are the hottest rappers out there now, aren’t they? ‘Come bust a couple of lines’, the moderator pleaded.
M.I and Ice Prince immediately confessed that on their way to the radio station, they had been listening to the other rappers tear themselves up and that they were already feeling inferior and jittery. Everybody laughed. Such humility expressed by the Choc Boys was what i thought would precede a daunting and dashing display of lyrical dexterity from them.



But to my surprise, Ice Prince stepped to the mic after much persuasion only to attempt to rap the lyrics of oleku! O-M-G!!! (like my ex-groupie girlfriend would say!) Thank God for one of the other rappers who cut him off before he could get to the 2nd bar. Same thing went for M.I who had basically nothing to say.
After much irrelevant talk, both MCs took to the Mic and started reciting nursery school rhymes…quite appauling.
The show got back on with the other rappers (who were probably irritated as I was) resuming the freestyle. As before, it was on point! The show ended on a high note.
Now my point is, I know M.I and Ice Prince were very good with freestyling back then (then = 3 to 4 years ago). I ususally watched M.I at WAPI deliver lovely rhyme schemes and constantly heard of Ice Prince stomping buildings in Jos. So what has happened to these rappers?
No matter how much fame and popularity or how successful your music gets you, remember what got you there in the first place -The Hunger
Your fans are listening and watching, don’t disappoint them.
What is freestlying? – Freestyle rap commonly refers to rap lyrics which are improvised through acapella or with instrumental beats, i.e. performed with few or no previously composed lyrics, off the top of the head.

No comments:

Post a Comment